Discovering the wines of Chinon
Drink local ! (with moderation)
We hope that your stay in La Pénesais will allow you to discover or better know the wines of the Loire Valley and in particular the wines of our region: Chinon, Bourgueil, Saint-Nicolas or Saumur…
To know everything about these wines, we recommend you to visit La maison des vins du Véron, where you can taste the productions of more than 20 local winegrowers. Address: 14 rue du 18 Mai 1945 in Beaumont-en-Véron (2 km from La Pénesais). Open Tuesday to Saturday, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. https://maisondesvinsduveron.com
But you can also visit local winemakers directly. They will be very happy and honored to introduce you to their products and their passion:
- Le Manoir de La Courtiniére: our nearest winegrower neighbour (200m away) will be happy to show you around his manor (a former 15th century Protestant temple) with its chais and cellar, in the middle of its vineyard, and show you discover its excellent red and rosé Chinon. Francis and Annick Audebert, Tel: 02 47 93 36 99
- Le Château de Coulaine: our second winegrowing neighbour, 300 m away. The De Bonnaventure family will welcome you to their 15th century family château to let you taste their superb productions of white or red Chinon, all organic since 1994 (the 1st in AOC Chinon).Tel: 02 47 98 44 51 https://www.chateaudecoulaine.com
- Pierre and Bertrand Couly (5 Km) One of the oldest families of local winegrowers. On the program: visit of the cellars, tasting, oenological workshop, and even escape game…: Rond-point des Closeaux, Route de Tours, in Chinon. Tel: +33 (0)2 47 93 64 19 Web: https://www.pb-couly.com
- Le Château de La Grille (3 Km): One of the most famous vineyards in Chinon: a 15th century castle surrounded by its vineyard. Visit of the chais and cellars, tasting, walk in the large wooded park. Route de Huisme (D16) in Chinon, Tel: +33 (0)2 47 93 01 95 Web: https://www.chateau-de-la-grille.fr
- La Niverdière (1Km), 7 Rue de Danzay in Beaumont-en-Véron. A she-winemaker very committed to the scrupulous respect of the terroir and the local climatology. Tel: +33 (0)2 47 97 05 60 Web: https://www.laniverdiere.com
- Les caves de Monplaisir (2 Km): One of the largest cellars in Chinon, several hundred meters deep in galleries dug into the hillside of the river Vienne. It brings together 3 winegrowers who store their production there. The visit ends with a very complete tasting, with many explanations.
50, quay Pasteur in Chinon. Tel: +33 (0)2 47 93 20 75 Web: https://cavemonplaisir.fr
Le Domaine du Saut au Loup in Ligré (10 km). Formerly Domaine Dozon, acquired in 2013 by a young winemaker. Currently engaged in organic conversion. Tel: +33 (0)2 47 93 17 67 Website: https://www.domainedusautauloup.fr.
…and many more all around La Pénesais and Chinon!
Some other good adresses :
La Cabane à Vin in the center of Chinon (4 Km): a wine merchant and a wine bar specializing in Loire Valley wines and in particular in Chinon wines. Address: 23, Place du General De Gaulle Tel: +33 (0)2 47 95 84 58 Web: https://www.lacabaneavin.fr/
Le Chateau de Miniére in Ingrande-de-Touraine (12 Km): The vines, some of which are more than a century old, extend over 19 hectares around the castle dating from 1436. This winegrower (a Belgian family) produces wines of great quality in AOP Bourgueil (red and rosé) but also in AOP Anjou (white), and even some surprising sparkling wines. All production is organic.
Tel: +33 (0)2 47 96 94 30 Web: https://www.chateaudeminiere.com/fr/
Enfin du Vin in Candes-Saint-Martin (12 Km): A wine merchant, a wine bar but much more: very friendly and very competent welcome who will make you discover some treasures of Loire Valley wines (all organic) or elsewhere . You can taste the wines from its selection comfortably seated on the terrace on the banks of the river Loire. Tel: +33 (0) 2 47 95 07 61 https://www.enfinduvin.net/
La Loire Gourmande in Turquant (20 Km): A special and very pleasant place: it is a cellar, a wine bar and a shop where you can find and taste absolutely all the wines of the Loire Valley (from its source to its estuary) in an astonishing and very interesting course (the “Ligerama)”. You can also have lunch of local products, on site. Tel: +33 (0)6 86 00 15 05 https://www.loire-gourmande.fr
Do not hesitate to share your experiences and discoveries with us.
We are at your disposal for any question or information. Ask us, we are here for that! We will be very happy to help you discover our magnificent region and its unique products.