Our good adresses
Our favorites (but there are plenty more)
- Les Années 30, in Chinon: in a 15th century house. Refined cuisine of a very good standard, made by the chef Stéphane Charles. Very reasonable price/quality ratio (35-40€). Very warm welcome, large fireplace in winter and a small terrace on the street in summer. Open on Sunday evening (which is rare in Chinon!) 02 47 93 37 18 https://www.lesannees30.co
- La Maison Rouge, a few meters from Les Années 30, in one of the oldest houses in Chinon. An address recommended by some of our visitors. 02 47 98 43 65 fr.maisonrouge-chinon.com
- Au Local at the entrance of the fortress: inventive cuisine exclusively dedicated to local products…as the name of the restaurant indicates. Average price (40 €/person) . Reservation recommended. Tel: 02 47 93 95 87 aulocalrestaurant.fr
- L’ardoise in Chinon: meat restaurant (possibility to buy meat from the restaurant!), reasonable price (30-40€), no terrace. 02 47 58 48 78 https://lardoisechinon.com
- Charbon in Chinon: a tiny restaurant near the town hall, specializing in cooking over a wood fire in an old oven. A very limited menu (4 starters, 4 main courses, 4 desserts) but with very good value for money. To be avoided by vegetarians (marrow bones, rib of beef, andouillette…). Tel: 02 47 58 25 19
- Le Ver Vert in Montsoreau (12 Km): refined and innovative cuisine, excellent cellar, a little more expensive than the previous ones (40-50€) 02 41 52 34 89 https://www.ververt.com
- L’Epine in Azay-Le-Rideau (23 km): high-level gastronomic restaurant, (waiting for a next Michelin star, it seems !). Excellent cellar. Terrace. Quite high price (>50€) but justified. 02 47 45 39 84 https://www.restaurant-lepine.fr
- L’Auberge de la Route d’Or in Candes-Saint-Martin (10 km). Good level cuisine, with a terrace at the foot of the collegiate church, very pleasant in summer. 02 47 95 19 01
- Diane de Meridor in Montsoreau (named after the heroine of Alexandre Dumas’ novel, “La Dame de Montsoreau”: located on the street along the banks of the river Loire, this restaurant serves elegant and interesting cuisine through its combinations of quality products . Fast and friendly service. Average price (menu at 29€) . One of the only good restaurants open on Sunday evenings! https://dianedemeridor.com/,
- Les Pécheries Ligériennes at Bréhémont (27 km). A high-level restaurant dedicated to Loire river fish, born from the association of a professional Loire river fisherman and a talented chef (passed by the TV show “Top Chef” in 2020). Terrace on the Loire river. Mandatory reservation. Tel: 09 51 30 22 68 Website: http://www.les-pecheries-ligeriennes.fr/
- Auberge du Val de Vienne in Sazilly (14 km): restaurant serving traditional French cuisine, sometimes with an exotic touch, of very good quality, at an average price (menu at €34). Recommended by the Guide du Routard and the Gault & Millau guide. www.aubergeduvaldevienne.com . Tel: 02 47 95 26 49
…or much simpler and more affordable, and very close: Le Petit Bouchon in Avoine (3 Km). Very limited menu (dish of the day) but at a tight price (€13), fast and friendly service. Terrace in summer. Tel: 02 47 58 81 85
The “Guinguettes” (only in summer)
- in Chinon, on the “beach” at the foot of the bridge, left bank of the Vienne: sandwiches, sausages and fries, and beers, facing the fortress.
- La Bamboche in Le Néman (7 km), on the banks of the river Indre: Foodtrucks with hamburgers, “fouées” (traditional bread), tapas, local beers and Chinon wines. Festive and very warm atmosphere, concerts of musical bands on weekends.
The (good) food shops around:
Butchers: Boucherie Martin and Boucherie Ondet, both in rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau: Open on Sunday mornings.
Bakeries: Le Fournil du Chateau, Rue Jean-Jacques-Rousseau (closed on Sundays), La Tour de l’Horloge Place Mirabeau (long queue on Sundays), La tour des pains near the entrance to the fortress.
Pastries: Ayrolle, Rue de l’hôtel de ville: the inventor of the “Tarte du vigneron”, a specialty from Chinon (fine apple tart covered with a jam of Chinon wine). And also La Tour de l’Horloge (see in bakeries) .
Good addresses around the wine :
Rent a bike :
Good adresses around the wine :
Bathing places (in natural environment)
– L’ile Bouchard , 25 Km, bathing in the river Vienne, supervised
– Bourgueil, 13 Km : le Lac Capitaine
– Lac de Hommes, 30 Km
– Lac Millodeau , 27 Km, near Saumur.
More information on https://ville-data.com/baignade/lac/Chinon-37-37072